Cozy games and PC merchants

Sinest

I'd love to see the beautiful world of soulframe lean into some cozy game elements. I'd like to be able to spend time foraging and tending to plants rather than fighting.

As a huge minecraft fan I prefer to spend my time creating rather than destroying.

Another idea that can support this playstyle is a merchant class. One who focuses on crafting rather than combat. I'd love to focus my time on making goods for other players and selling them to aid their adventures. 

Ideas for abilities of a merchant:

-double resource gathering (nekros?)

-reduced crafting time

-item quality improved (potions heal more when made by a merchant)

It'd just be awesome to see classes with skill trees that aren't so combat focused. Maybe I could become the greatest fisherman of the land and my focus in my craft makes lads travel from afar to purchase my enormous trout.

Or  I can earn the title of renown berrysmith for my bushes are plump and filled with the sweetest berries. One wouldn't imagine baking a pie or potion without use of my top tiered fruit.

I want to be able to slay baddies absolutely, but I also want to enjoy shady moss covered groves while peacefully tending to my plants, and I want progress for both.

We don't really have 'classes' though, yes some side activities that you can do that isn't just 'destroy baddies and their evil machines' or 'save animals from baddies' or 'break their explosive barrels' would be nice, again, we don't have classes. The closest thing, is the warframe equivalent of the pact, but in warframe, they don't do things like tell the blacksmith to craft faster, and they only really make the 'farming' easier by coincidence than outright going for it, like ivara's invis while fishing.

This is also further 'challenged' with the fact we can swap our pact at any time, if you include a pact that for some reason has a crafting passive, you go into your nightfold, instead of going to craft, you go to the arsenal, you swap to the pact, you start the craft, you swap back to the one you actually want to play, you leave.

20 hours ago, mt607 said:

We don't really have 'classes'..... The closest thing, is the warframe equivalent of the pact, 

So I know there is not "classes".

Warframe doesn't have "classes" either, it has frames.

This is semantics. Frames and pacts are essentially classes by another name.

Sure one can swap pacts at any time, but I'm assuming there is a way to level and advance pacts, like one ranks a frame, and with DE talking more about how soulframe will be more RPG heavy I'm hoping progression of pacts will be more advanced than just your grind 0-30 of frames. 

But yea, if you need to swap to your merchant pact for gathering resources than cool, or if you swap to your max rank berrysmith pact before crafting as to improve the process, then awesome.

I'm clearly brainstorming some ideas, please don't shut them all down. And pacts are classes. (I've seen you correct several people so far).

Thank you 😊 

1 hour ago, Sinest said:

So I know there is not "classes".

Warframe doesn't have "classes" either, it has frames.

This is semantics. Frames and pacts are essentially classes by another name.

I'd disagree as I'd say for a class to be a class, I'd say that it has to be more than just "I have ability 1, ability 2, ability 3," and in soul frame's case, you're allowed to swap your ability 4 to whatever you want, with the ability to equip whatever melee weapon with it you want.

1 hour ago, Sinest said:

Sure one can swap pacts at any time, but I'm assuming there is a way to level and advance pacts, like one ranks a frame, and with DE talking more about how soulframe will be more RPG heavy I'm hoping progression of pacts will be more advanced than just your grind 0-30 of frames. 

Which we have other menus for (like the currently unimplemented soul menu) or, they could be referring to the fact you can put points into any of the  three mana types that exist in the game, being a green mana bar, red mana bar, and blue mana bar, which some weapons scale with red mana bar, some scale with blue, some with green.

1 hour ago, Sinest said:

But yea, if you need to swap to your merchant pact for gathering resources than cool, or if you swap to your max rank berrysmith pact before crafting as to improve the process, then awesome.

this sounds extra tedious, especially so since we aren't the ones crafting, no, it's our team of spirits we recruit that handle that side of things, with each of them having a relation progress bar that increases as you do things with them, (currently the only one with a functioning one is the blacksmith, who gains the ability to reforge your weapons)

1 hour ago, Sinest said:

I'm clearly brainstorming some ideas, please don't shut them all down. And pacts are classes. (I've seen you correct several people so far).

Thank you 😊 

Brainstorm doesn't mean "Free from criticism"

Thank you : )

12 hours ago, mt607 said:

Brainstorm doesn't mean "Free from criticism"

I appreciate you engaging with this topic but let's keep our criticism constructive. I have not played the game, but am very passionate about it.

I understand the workings of the game in its current prealpha state, these are subject to many shifts and changes.

To start over, I am suggesting a way that one could progress through out the game with instead of focusing on combat, they focus on creation, crafting, and player economy.

I agree that constantly swapping pacts sounds tedious. 

In warframe you can with time, max out every weapon, frame, and faction standing. With elden ring it's harder to have both a dex build, strength build, and use magic effectively, how you choose to progress and spend your points sort of determines your build. I like the limitations and I feel it bring diversity to characters.

Since we use spirits for crafting, what if there was a way to level up, let's say the weapon smith, in a way that makes you better at crafting then someone who chose a different route. Like an item that you give to a spirit that you only get a few of, and who you give it to enhances them.

This way one character can just be better at using weapons and another better at magic, while your character would be great at crafting potions or consumables.

"I mostly avoid combat and spend my time hunting for rare ingredients, I spent all of my rare golden totems on my potion crafting spirit, so I can't really do x, y, and z but my character is able to craft extremely good potions which really help me in the tough spots of the game, I also spend a lot of time selling these potions because most people have spent their rare golden totems on more combat related things and thus cannot make potions of my caliber"

I hope I am being clear with this concept, and while it might not fit into the current state of the game, I think we need these forums to be a safe place to dream big of what the future could hold.